Tuesday, October 18, 2005

the soap opera

I met the star of this drama on Day 1 when I started my job 10 years ago. During these 10 years, she has had an endless (yes, endless) list of traumatic life events. If I had had even half the things she has experienced, I think I'd be in permanent therapy. Maybe that is why SHE is!

Day in and day out I have heard the drama. My memory has erased all but about 10% of the "episodes", but a few events continue to play into each daily saga. A true living soap opera.

Before I met "mindy" (our courageous leading character bearing up under life's adversities) there was a marriage and two children (well actually three - counting the 1st that was stillborn). Then a divorce from an alcoholic husband. There was a sister who had a baby - born the night of her senior prom. She later married the father and had three more kids. Same sister had a critical accident in high school which left her blind in one eye, and paralyzed on one side of her face. There was another sister who had two children by different fathers - never married. That sister is in constant drug rehab, and her daughter quit school in about the 7th grade, and is now in prison and the mother of two children (being raised by Mindy). It's all very confusing and if I didn't get daily updates on these people, I frankly would need a scorecard to keep up.

Monday's are always interesting. I never know what to expect. Like yesterday. Mindy was not in the office when I arrived. I wondered if she was ill and not coming at all, or if her great-niece (form whom she is guardian) was ill, or if her father was in the hospital again, or if [long list of possibilities]. Mindy appeared about 9:30 with the explanation. "Little Moe" [her son] was in a car wreck and is in the hospital. Little Moe is just home from Iraq within the last 4 months. So, Mindy proceded to treat us with the gory details of the accident. Leaving local high school football game Friday night; head-on collision; 2 people injured; wrecked her mother's car; both people med-flighted to local medical centers; surgery to put a rod in his leg from hip to ankle; took him 13 hours to come out of anesthesia, yadda, yadda.

I know - the details are endlessly fascinating to one and all. I'll keep you posted.

It's not that I don't have compassion. But it's people like this that make me know, most novels (and soap operas) are probably taken from real life.

No comments: