Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Arkansas strawberries

Yea, it’s been a while. I don’t even know where to begin to recap the last 2 months (almost), so I will just jump in . . .

France has its cheeses; Cuba has its cigars; Florida has orange juice; Arkansas has strawberries. It doesn’t matter if the world doesn’t recognize Arkansas as the source of the world’s most incredibly wonderful strawberries. That leaves more for the fortunate few. :)






Since I’ve been giving “kitchen” tips this year, I’ll give a brief review of what to do with strawberries, if you are at a loss. There are, of course, the standards: chocolate-dipped and shortcake. My personal favorites are:
(1) sliced with a little sugar and a splash of Calvados – then spoon the juice over homemade vanilla ice cream
(2) take any amount of sour cream and mix in some powdered sugar (you just have to be willing to experiment – there is no wrong way to do this) THEN – stand at your kitchen sink with a flat of Arkansas strawberries fresh from the field. Take ONE juicy red delight and wash it, dip it in the sweetened sour cream, and eat. Repeat until you are either (a) out of strawberries, (b) out of sweetened sour cream, or (c) sick. :)

I definitely agree with my father’s comment years ago: “I wish I could eat enough of this to make myself sick.”

Usually, the Arkansas peaches are pretty fabulous, too; but a late freeze and 2 hail storms wiped out the peach crop this year. We all cried.

No comments: